Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Finally a fit









It only took two years at a community college, a year at Arizona State Univeristy, massive student loans and a five-hour car trip to finally find my educational fit: Washington State University. My love for big cities like Seattle and Phoenix have now been replaced with the beautiful, rolling wheat fields of Pullman.

Stories that my parents have told me about their college experiences have been rushing through my head all week. At first I thought they were crazy and I was excited to show them that their eldest daughter was more equipped to handle the 'real world' than they were at the time. My father always told the story about how he wrote his first check at BIOLA in California and asked the cashier how to spell thousand. Memories of this flashed through my head as I approached the cashiering office as I too wrote my first check to WSU for tuition. But, I thought I was in better condition that they kid in front of me who asked the cashier, "How do you spell Washington?"

My mom proved to be better at advice than my father because she retells the story of how she had a limited budget to spend on food for the rest of the week so instead of buying good solid food, she opted for the milk and Oreos. I laughed at the time but, my first groccery trip went more or less like "WTF?! milk costs how much?!" "Tax is so much!" and "Who pays for bottled water?" More or less I pretty much found the nutrition pyramid and went right by that but, the off brand Oreos, (Tuxedos?) did find their way into my cart.

1 comment:

  1. It's your Auntie....I'm apparently to stupid to set up my own account so I'm using Courtneys!! Something tells me your parents are a little more attentive then ours were and they will not let you starve! You have heard enough stories over the years to understand what I'm talking about.... if all else fails you can always call your favoite Aunt I'm sure she will get you whatever your little heart desires!! Be good, don't make me drive 5 hours to the forbidden land to kick your butt...lovingly of course!! :)

    ReplyDelete