Friday, February 5, 2010

Gym attire

On my Quest for Greatness I am stuck in a mediocre, minimum wage job picking up sweaty towels from the guys that spend all their time checking their biceps out in the mirror and grunting for others to know just how much they are trying not to poop their pants.

I have been an athlete for most of my life and i can say that i have spent a good portion of my life in the gym. During this time i have paid little to no attention to what i was wearing. As long as i could move in it and it was comfortable i would just throw it on and go work out with the team or just put in the Ipod and try to escape by myself.

Now that i work at a gym i seem to have a different perspective on gym attire now. It seems to me that even though you are inside a place where you are trying to improve your outer appearance, you must have a already great body to not be judged in the gym. Sad but true. New year's resolutions around the world are to get fit and to get in better shape but, where do you do that? If you are over weight you cant work out at a gym for fear of being judged that you are fat. And god knows you cant just go run on the street for another fear of people honking and yelling crude things at the fat jiggling on you. Its a catch 22 if i have ever seen one.

Hanging out with a few high school boys the other night ( no questions please) after they got back from the gym to them debating which girl was the hottest. They than admited to first going to work out,( the grunting, bicep flexing boys that i refered to) and secondly going to see what kind of girls were there. Now i thought to myself how many times have i been in the gym on the bike or tread mill and just running and not knowing who was around me? Are you telling me that basketball shorts and your father's go army shirt is not sexy? Your telling me that i have to go to the gym and look cute and thin and sweat in a way that it is just glistening and not pouring out of every pore of my body? This is crazy!

How are people suppose to go to the gym to lose weight and get that rockin bod, if everytime they go they get looks and stares? I than came up with one thought: Girls that go to the gym must have high confidence levels.

So after years of making fun of the girls that run on the treadmills with huge hoop earrings and their hair flowing behind them as they try and pretend that their legs arent going to fall off, maybe they are the ones that have the right idea. Maybe those are the girls that go to the gym just to go after one of those grunting, hormone raging men?

So after that informative night i now have to go and buy tight fitting yoga pants, clevage bearing work out shirts (wtf are those) and shoes that always look brand new and show off my shiny, freshly tanned legs.

I have now come to a new idea: I dont care that much :)

No comments:

Post a Comment