Monday, May 24, 2010

i refuse to suck the brains

Yes, i eat sushi and i rather enjoy it. I like fish, shrimp and most "bottom dwellers" as sam calls them but, i refuse to suck the brains out of crawfish.

I walk into my friends back yard and there is a huge white cooler filled with STILL living crawfish. THere is a giant boiling pot next to the cooler where the guys take a bucketfull and boil them that way. They all seem to be trying to escape but with all of their friends and family being boiled right next to them, their fate seems to be made for them.
I than made the first mistake of the night. I named one of them. It was the cutest little guy and we made eye contact and it was over. i named it bud. Its little red claws reached out and touched my heart, i couldnt let bud get boiled and eaten like the rest of his family.
Meanwhile...
my friend was giving a demonstration about how to crack them open. "its simple" he said. "you uncurl their tails and break them off of their body. You than eat that little piece of meat,( thats a disgusting yellow poop color) and than you take the rest of the body and suck out all of their brains and juices." WTF are you kidding me! i said to myself no no no no i refuse to suck the brains out but, i didnt want to look like a wimp so i thought i would at least try. I picked up what looked like bud's mom and i said a little prayer and tried to break her little body open. Her claws kept getting in the way and i just couldnt bring myself around to eating this animal that had been eating poop its whole life, to put it in my mouth.

i stuck with eating hot dogs. not like that is a great alternatve but it got my mind off of eating bud's mother.


Loved the party, the people and it was a great way to start the summer off but, God rest his soul.
In the loving memory of Bud the crawfish

1 comment: